Tropes:King Cairbré I of Etrand
|Main • Tropes • Quotes • Memes|
Tropes about King Cairbré I of Etrand inlcude:
- Mother Makes You King: Queen Mythela of Etrand sure pulled the strings to make sure that Cairbré becomes the king, and not Eurenic.
- Sanity Slippage: Being a Bryantid, it was in the blood for him. During the last fifteen years of his life, he was constantly having visions, mumbling about "ascension" with his wife among others.
- The Alcoholic: Later on, he became a little bit too fond of the Elven wine introduced to his court by his wife. Not that his wife wasn't a drinker either.
- Functional Addict: It is said that he despite his alcoholism, he was a very competent ruler. Legends say that he was perfectly capable of making rational decisions even when drunk, but since legends are legends for a reason, it was most likely an exaggeration.
- The Fundamentalist: while his father got away with sodomy due to being royalty, Cairbré took a very harsh stance on sodomy and also gave the green light to the Inquisition to arrest missionaries.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Went hand-in-hand with being the conservative religious ruler he was.
- Cain and Abel: His older brother Eurenic wanted the throne, but Cairbré - with his mother's support - took the throne. Eurenic rebelled against Cairbré and got blinded as punishment.
- The Good King: Debatable. For several reasons (see the two tropes above), he isn't seen as the "truly just" king his father was, but he nevertheless did continue his father's work by transforming Etrand into the state of law and rights. He also tried nudging Etrand to the path of gender equality and meritocracy, albeit with mixed success.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: See above. Was he a bigoted fundamentalist who nearly destroyed what his father worked for by giving the Church back the power his father gradually stripped away from them? Or was he the just and wise king who completed his father's work by not only finishing the job but also correcting the mistakes his predecessor accidentally made? Up to your imagination.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: According to his detractors, unforeseen consequences of his policies contributed in large to many recent events which put Etrand and Dragoc on the brink of war.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Eurenic's red, red to his father's blue.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: With his wife Muyian of Artaburro. They were madly in love with each other. Chronicles say that they made love every day and kissed every hour - needless to say, it's an unrealistic exaggeration.
- Interspecies Romance: Cairbré was human, Muyian was a half-elf.
- Mayfly-December Romance: Averted, despite the trope above. They died on the same day, although it's implied that Muyian died from her sorrow following her husband's death.
- Ruling Couple: Downplayed, but still somewhat present.
- Dare to Be Badass: He was weak as a child, which is why his father sent him to learn science and magic instead of martial skills. Fas forward to his twenties, and he's built like a grizzly bear, decent at swinging a sword. He ceased being a Squishy Wizard, and became a Magic Knight.
- Badass Long Hair
- Badass Beard: Also Looks Like Jesus.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With his wife's older brother, Prince Saran of Artaburro, as well as Grand Count Andrei III of Werron, and to a lesser extent, Beoldwin Mairkel.
- Creator Cameo: His portrait is based off Zsolt Tóth, who also wrote his biography.
- Author Avatar: It's not just his looks. His views on religion, sexuality and politics largerly mirrior those of his creator.