Tropes:King Bryant I of Etrand
|Main • Tropes • Quotes • Memes|
Tropes about King Bryant I of Etrand inlcude:
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Between 713 and 717, he served as the governor of the Dwarven Lands, because his future wife's father King Calder did not want them to get married, so he sent Bryant as far away from the royal court as possible - to the Dwarven Lands.
- Subverted, because during those years, life quality improved under Bryant's governorship, and Bryant himself gained a lot of experience - and the favour of the dwarves, which helped him tremendously in later becoming the King.
- Sanity Slippage: Being a Bryantid, it was in the blood for him. During his final years, he became secluded and obsessed with science, turning him into an almost literal bookworm. He also grew VERY fond of under-age male crossdressers.
- Disability Superpower: His administration skills actually improved during those years of "madness".
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- The Good King: His economical policies and law reforms were undoubtedly for the better.
- Machiavelli Was Wrong: Bryant did NOT rule through fear.
- Ambition Is Evil: Subverted. Although Bryant never hesitated to crush anyone standing in his way, he used his gained position to improve Etrand and showed leniency many times if he deemed that it would better serve his goals. (Worked out quite well with Brelon of Brevia)
- Rags to Royalty: Downplayed. His parents were actually impoverished nobles. Impoverished, but still nobility.
- What's Up, King Dude?: played straight early in his reign, given his gregarious nature. More and more downplayed later on, until he became completely secluded during the last years of his life.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Combined with his wedding with Mythela.
- Rightful Queen Returns: Bryant was instrumental in reclaiming the throne for the rightful heir, Princess Mythela...
- Ruling Couple: ...whom he married. Subverted because Mythela only participated in politics actively before her marriage and after the death of her husband. See below.
- Wife Husbandry: The large age gap between the two make it quite possible.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: He got along with his wife Mythela, and chronicles after his death report that he had a harmonic relationship with his wife, but in reality...
- Bi the Way: ...he had both male and female lovers, and was expecially fond of underage crossdressers. All evidence for him having male lovers would be censored out of existence by his religious successor, Cairbré.
- All Gays Are Pedophiles/Shotacon: the majority of his female lovers were adults, but all of his male lovers were under-age.
- Groin Attack: during the last epic battle before he became King, his testicles got pierced by a crossbow bolt. He got better.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He was called Bryant the Just. He was gregarious early on, and made reforms that made overall life better. He didn't hesitate to cut down anyone opposing him though.
- Neutral Good: Best describes his personality.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Brelon of Brevia.
- Creator Cameo: His portrait is based off László Dornfeld, who also wrote his biography.
- Author Avatar: It's not just his looks. His views on religion, sexuality and politics largerly mirrior those of his creator. Also, his creator Dornfeld is a lawyer in real life - Bryant's name originates from a patron saint of lawyers.