|Region||Gabyr City, Principality of Gabyr|
|20 000 (833)|
|Runic, also Gabyrian alphabet|
Gaviúran is a minor language spoken in Gabyr City in the Principality of Gabyr by a minority of its human population. The language emerged as a result of the influx of pagan Hulran refugees into Gabyr after the Etrandish annexation of Hulra in 274 AEKE.
The language has become highly simplified compared to its ancestor, and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by the Gabyrian language.
Evolution from Late Hulran
- The unaspirated consonants (partially) regained their voicing in word-initial environments, due to Gabyrian influence. However, they remain voiceless word-finally.
- As a result of Gabyrian influence, the language gained a two consonantal sounds: /g/ and /ɲ/
- After the vowel shifts detailed below, a lot of consonants shift to new positions when preceding a /j/.
- /nj tʰj dj sj lj/ shift to /ɲ t͡ʃʰ d͡ʒ ʃ ʎ/
- /ɣj xj wj/ all become /j/
- The front unrounded vowels /ø øː ʏ yː/ lose their frontedness but gain a preceding yod, becoming /jo joː jʊ juː/
- The diphthong /iu̯/ shifts to /juː/
- The diphthongs /ei̯ ou̯ iə̯ uə̯/ shift to long vowels /eː oː iː uː/
- the short mid vowels /e o/ lower to /ɛ ɔ/, most likely as a result of Gabyrian influence
|Voiced / Unaspirated||b||d||d͡ʒ||g||(gʷ)|
|Flap / Trill||r~ɾ|
|Mid||Long||eː ɛː||oː ɔː|
- The language also has the diphthong /oi̯/